University City District (UCD), in partnership with UC Green's network of greening enthusiasts, is pleased to announce the fifth annual University City Gardening and Beautification Awards, and is currently seeking nominations. Because well-tended gardens inspire others, UCD believes garden tenders deserve special praise and recognition.
The 2009 awards will honor nominees for outstanding examples of creative gardening approaches. Entries must be postmarked by Friday, September 25. Those nominating do not have to own the garden or even know the gardener - just inform UCD about a University City garden you enjoy and would like to see commended.
To nominate a garden, follow the directions below or contact Mark Christman at 215-243-0555 or .
NOMINATE AN INSPIRATIONAL GARDEN
1. Anyone can nominate a garden! It can be a public space or front yard, or a private yard that few know about. It can also be an institutional garden, public landscape, tree planting project or block improvement! Please limit nominations to properties within the University City District boundaries.
2. Please provide the garden owner's name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number. (At minimum, we must have the street address of the nominated garden in order to contact the nominee.) Please include your name, mailing address, email address and telephone number (or keep it anonymous!).
3. What do you enjoy about this garden? Be sure to include information that is important to you or sets this garden apart (e.g., specific names of plants, or what challenges you think were addressed, or other creativity worth noting). Be as brief or as descriptive as you wish.
4. If possible, along with the information above, please mail up to 5 photographs or high-resolution images on CD, of the nominated garden to: University City District, Attn: University City Gardening and Beautification Contest, 3940 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Please include your name and address on the back of each photograph. (If you want your prints or CD returned, please enclose a self addressed stamped envelope.) You may also email images and information to .
5. Entries must be postmarked by Friday, September 25. Questions or concerns can be directed to Mark Christman, University City District (215-243-0555 or ).