The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) is the Philadelphia region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization. We believe DVRPC is a place to work, learn, and create a career in a professional and stimulating environment that values diversity, innovation, and bringing your best self to work. If your background and experience match the following entry-level vacancy, we would like to hear from you.
· Data Coordination efforts at DVRPC focus on understanding the planning context of a data problem, developing an effective technical and predictive solution in collaboration with staff from across the commission, and explaining that solution to less technical staff and partners, in order to fulfill DVRPC’s mission to facilitate data-driven decision-making, explore new ideas, and create best practices.
· This entry-level position involves working with multiple data sources and types to help planning staff analyze and visualize planning data between departments, member agencies, and the public. Some examples of future work may include: supporting the creation of an online public engagement tool that will provide users the opportunity to comment on their walking environment; creating tools to help planning staff quickly access and visualize public data sources, like the American Community Survey; and developing an internal interface that allows planning staff to more easily discover agency datasets.
· This position requires project-level collaboration with a diversified group of planning and technical staff to develop and lead initiatives to improve data quality and develop lifecycle maintenance approaches for planning datasets. Work is performed in accordance with general agency policies and professional standards with results subject to review by the Manager, Data Coordination with additional input from the Associate Director, Transportation and the Data Innovation Team.
· Select relevant data sources and transform data suitable for answering planning questions.
· Identify and use appropriate techniques and tools for acquiring, retrieving, analyzing, and making use of the data.
· Create visualizations and communicate data analytics results to a large audience and decision makers.
· Research public and private datasets that could be used to assist with planning efforts.
· Assist Manager of Data Coordination with internal data inventory effort and other data coordination activities.
· Participate in relevant meetings (committee meetings, board meeting, etc.) to increase the knowledge base of DVRPC data initiatives.
· Assist in data sharing activities and filling data requests.
· Assist with day-to-day activities and perform other duties as needed or assigned.
· Experience with collecting, querying, and consuming data; understanding web API’s a plus.
· Experience using mathematical models to generate approximations and make future predictions.
· Experience with Python, R or other programming languages for data manipulation, analysis and visualizations.
· Working knowledge of relational databases and SQL; experience with Oracle and MS Access a plus.
· Experience with GitHub and an interest in using open source software solutions.
· Knowledge of GIS concepts and software like ArcGIS a plus.
· Subject matter focus in areas related to urban or regional planning preferred.
· Ability to listen to needs and translate into creative solutions.
· Strong strategic thinking and problem solving skills.
· Strong attention to detail with the ability to prioritize and stay organized.
· Excellent oral, written, and visual communication skills.
Experience & Training
To classify as a Level TS I, a minimum of ONE YEAR of professional or co-op experience in Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field is required. Such experience may have been gained from a combination of experience and training. Training may have been gained through graduation from a four-year college/university, with major course work in a discipline applicable to the ones listed above.
Salary Range: Low to Mid $50,000s (position level & salary commensurate with education & experience)